If you've heard this before, I hope you'll pardon my repeating it.
I don't know if he still does this, but Don DeLillo, novelist of note, types a paragraph (on a typewriter), then yanks the page to do revisions by hand. It's not clear if he writes several paragraphs on several pieces of paper, yanking each as he goes, then revises, or if he yanks each paragraph, revises, then moves to the next paragraph.
You can do this electronically now (not passing judgment, of course, but I don't like the idea of trees dying for my scrawlings) with your writing machine, a tablet, and a Dropbox or like account. The expensive parts are your writing machine and tablet; the Dropbox account is free up to a certain amount of storage (2G, I think), a stylus costs around $15 US, and most handwriting apps are free.
(I actually made a stylus before I broke down and bought one; you may want to try a homemade stylus before you commit. Sharpen a dowel, and cloak it with an electrostatic bag. It's good enough.)
Pretty sure you can figure things out from here.
No comments:
Post a Comment