Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sometimes, I'm a little slow.

Let's preface this with some silliness: I have a crush on a woman, and I can never say that to her.  It's The Sorrows of Young Werther, but comic, hilarious really, and I'm old.

So we're talking over a couple of beers, and it turns out...how much detail do I give...she was in an industry that had a tremendous negative effect on the US economy.  She resigned in disgust just before that industry did that thing to the US economy.

I'd studied this negative effect, what led to it, the events, the repercussions, had it totally down, and had a variety of ready solutions.  For some reason, though, I didn't have the fast access to the information pool I usually do, so I just sat there listening, and feeling dumb, contributing nothing.

Could be a number of things caused that, right?  Crush shyness (which I thought I overcame when I was a teenager), fatigue, could be anything.  But, man, I felt dumb.  Frustrated too.

Happens.

After this scene, I got to thinking, if you practice the virtues - honesty, integrity, compassion - you're not going to go very far in this world.  That's a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment